Tuesday, April 3, 2012

first thing first. and 2nd. and 3rd.


1st: I'm an italian gal and my English isn't the best.
No fancy language courses, private schools, or traveling around the world for me. I've learned my English by watching tons of tv shows & movies. I'm a bit shy about reading and writing in my second language, but I'm diving into it and loving learning it, so please be patient, smile at my attempts and have a good-humored laugh with me. I'm trying my best.

2nd: Over the past few years I have started to learn different crafts...

first knitting during my pregnancy, then sewing, and now beading and crocheting. I'm not a Crafter per se, not yet. But again, I'm trying.

3rd: I have always been a geeky/nerdy/sci-fi-lover type of girl, having grown up with three brothers, and as a result I have always lacked in feminine manners. I have since become a wife and a mom but have remained a geeky/nerdy/sci-fi-lover lacking in feminine manners.

Three years ago suddenly Lindy Hop happened.

So I started dancing, perhaps too late, and at a time in my life in which I have a lot to take care of. So I haven't become a very good dancer, but I'm really passionate about it. This passion has led me to discover a whole new world of vintage clothing, old-fashioned make up and hairdos, and the amazing history of the 20s, 30s and 40s across the Atlantic.

Well, this blog is my way to shaping all those things going on in my life into something readable for my friends that already appreciate what I do, and hopefully some more new ones who share my passions.
Maybe I'll be able to infect more italians with my enthusiasm about pages of history and culture and styles we don't know full well, and have some overseas readers following in the process...

Shall we dance?


©fabriziogiammarco

Primo. Sono italiana e il mio inglese non è esattamente il massimo. Non ho frequentato corsi di lingue, scuole blasonate o viaggiato chissacché attorno al globo. Così ho imparato il mio inglese facendo il pieno di film e telefilm in lingua originale. Sono timidina nel parlare/scrivere in questa mia seconda lingua, ma mi ci sto davvero buttando (=diving) e adoro impararlo, perciò i miei - eventuali - lettori anglofoni mi abbiano pazienza, sorridano dei miei tentativi e si facciano una risata bonaria insieme a me.
Giuro, sto dando del mio meglio.

Secondo. In questi ultimi anni sto imparando a "fare-delle-cose-semiartistiche-con-le-mie-mani", che dire artigianato non rende l'idea (e gli americani dicono Crafts che è bello solo a sentirlo dire, lo diceva Guccini che ci fregano con la lingua, ma questa è, seriamente, tutta un'altra storia).
Durante la mia gravidanza ho iniziato con i 'ferri da calza' (anche qui, vogliamo mettere 'fare la maglia' che sa di Nonna Genoveffa Frustrata, con Knitting che sa di fashion designer? vabbè.); poi mi sono data un po' al cucito, alla bigiotteria fai-da-te e uncinetto. Non mi definisco propriamente una Creativa, non ancora, almeno. Ma ci provo.

Terzo. Sempre stata una ragazzina geek/nerd/sci-fi, cresciuta in casa con tre fratelli e sette computer, e non sono mai stata dotata di grandi doti femminili (mai stata "a modino", come direbbe la zia).
Poi mi sono sposata, ho avuto un bimbo, ma sempre geek/nerd/sci-fi sono rimasta, sempre poco "a modino".

Poi tre anni fa è successo il Lindy Hop*.

* Il Lindy Hop è una danza Swing afroamericana nata ad Harlem, New York, negli anni Venti...

Dunque ho iniziato a ballare, magari un po' tardino e in un momento della vita in cui avevo giusto un paio di cosucce di cui occuparmi, quindi non sono una ballerina eccelsa, ma certo è che non mi manchi la passione per il Lindy e tutto ciò che gli gira intorno. Ho iniziato a scoprire tutto un mondo di abbigliamento vintage, trucco e acconciature d'altri tempi, e l'emozionante storia dei '20, '30 e '40 al di là dell'Atlantico (che quello che succedeva qui sulle sponde del Mediterraneo era una storia diversa, non meno interessante, ma certo diversa).

Ecco, insomma, questo blog è il mio modo per dare forma a tutte queste cose, tradurle in qualcosa di leggibile per gli amici che già hanno modo di apprezzare quello che faccio, e magari trovarne di nuovi con cui condividere le mie passioni.
Forse riuscirò a contagiare qualche italiano in più ad interessarsi a pagine di storia, cultura e stile che conosciamo appena, e chissà, ad avere qualche sostenitore oltreoceano lungo la strada...

Allora, balliamo?

©fabriziogiammarco

5 comments:

  1. Love the photos! I love following fellow dancers and I can't wait to see what you bring to the floor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna... Banana! Hope you'like what I have to share, in the meantime, welcome and thank you for the very first comment on my blog!

      Delete
  2. Le foto son davvero belle! Complimenti al fotografo! E non vedo l'ora di vedere come prosegue questo neonato blog!! Intanto ti linko!!

    Ciao,
    B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so impressed that you taught yourself English. And you write in English so well. Your blog is so wonderful. I look forward to reading more about you.

    http://shannonhearts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Shannon!
      Hope you'll enjoy my new posts, a new one is out right now... :)

      Delete

Be a Dingledangler, let's have a chat!

Be brooksy, go Etsy » my favorites